Building and Zoning Dept.

  • Megan Bessey – Zoning Administrator

  • Mike Carpenter - Building Inspector

  • (859) 363-2947
  • (859) 363-2952 fax


Independence Building Inspections

NOTICE: A separate HVAC permit must be issued for any HVAC installation/replacement, including single family homes.  All residential fees will be adjusted to $105.

The City of Independence Building and Zoning Department and PDS are responsible for enforcing codes that safeguard the public safety, health and welfare as it relates to new construction and maintenance of existing property.  These duties include regulating tall grass, junk cars, signs, fences, and, parking areas, to inspecting new homes and businesses and ensuring proper construction of decks, pools, sheds, and other projects.  As well as regulating where and how homes and businesses can be located.

A permit is required for all new construction, alterations, remodeling and additions to existing buildings, new or replaced signs, sheds, fences, decks, pools, finished basements, electrical repairs or upgrades, retaining walls, grading, expansion of driveways, changes of use for businesses, among others.

A permit is not required for painting, patching of plaster, replacing shingles on a roof, replacing siding, replacing an existing driveway, or other minor repairs.

Permit applications can be accessed from this website or picked up at the City Administration Office at 5409 Madison Pike between the hours of 8:00am and 4:30pm. (859) 363-2951. Applications must be filled out completely and all information on the check list for the project must be attached.

Common Questions

1. Where can I find a list of Zoning Rules and Regulations?

Zoning Rules and Regulations can be found at Northern Kentucky Area Planning Commission web site. A link for this is on the right hand menu on this page.

2. How do I obtain a building permit?

Call the Public Services Department, (859) 356-5302; or, you can obtain a blank form from this web site.  Simply click on the project you are planning (i.e. single family home, deck, shed, or etc.) and download the form(s).  Each project has a check list of information we need to process your permit.  Either mail it to the address at the right or drop it off in person.  If we require additional information we will contact you.  We will also contact you when your permit has been approved and is ready to be picked up.

3. How do I check the status of a pending permit?

Call the Public Services Department at (859) 356-5302. Please allow at least two (2) weeks to obtain your permit.  After the permit has been approved by the zoning and building departments we will contact the applicant that their permit is ready to be picked up.  If we contact you for additional information, the permit will not be reviewed until we receive the requested information.

4. Why do I need a building permit?

Building permits are required to:
  1. Make sure that all projects meet the zoning ordinances of the City of Independence and the State of Kentucky building codes.

  2. To insure your safety.
5. What projects require a permit?

A permit is required for all projects including, new construction, alterations, remodeling and additions to existing buildings, new or replaced signs, sheds, fences, decks and pools, electrical repairs or upgrades, finished basements, retaining walls, grading, expansion of driveways, changes of use for businesses, among others.  Permits are not needed for painting, plaster repair, replacing shingles or siding, replacing an existing driveway or other minor repairs.
  1. Residential Fees

  2. Commercial Fees

  3. HVAC Fees
6. Do I need to get my project inspected?

Yes! An inspection schedule will be included with your permit.  Please call (859) 356-5302 at least 24 hours in advance to schedule any inspection.

7.  Where can I get a list of codes?

Please see attached Building Codes;; www.OHBC.KY.GOV

8. How much does a permit cost?

Single Family Homes are 0.18 cents per square feet of all areas including basement and garages plus a zoning fee. Please see the fee schedules above for current rates  Please contact Public Services with any questions.

9. How long does it take to receive my permit?

Please plan ahead and allow two weeks to receive your permit.  We must have all the information required for your project before we can review it.